The Creole House was built in 1898 by Alexander Lambert and his son Harris Lambert for his daughter Louisa, who was married to Alexander Decareaux. The house was purchased by the Village of French Settlement and used as the Town Hall until the new Town hall was built. In 1977, the French Settlement Historical Society took over maintaining the house and it was turned into a museum. The house is made out of cypress and is typical of the dwellings built in the area in the late 1800’s by the Creoles. Most of the houses at that time were built out of cypress because it was so plentiful in the surrounding swamps.
There are many items and antiques from the period displayed in the house. Included in the collection is a wedding dress from the period, a large armoire, a vintage radio, sewing machine, and many photos. Also, there are genealogy charts documenting the history of the local people. Outside the home is a Tool Shed of the period and Brignac’s Slaughter House. The Creole House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1992.
The home represents the culture and customs of the people of French, Spanish and German origin that have lived in the area since at least 1810. The museum is open the 2nd Sunday from 1 – 4 p.m., October through March. It is open every Sunday 1 – 4 p.m., April through September. There is no fee to tour the museum and appointments are made for special occasions and group tours by calling Mrs. Mercy Lobell at 698-9886. It is located on Highway 16 behind the French Settlement Municipal Building.